13 May 2007

Books, books, and more books

I think I cope with the stress of moving to a new country by buying a million travel books. At least, that fact was evident from the number of guidebooks on the shelf under my bay window. My husband, just returning home from a ten-day business trip to India, was shocked at the pile. (I noticed this morning that he had them neatly stacked upright as if they were on a proper bookshelf.) Among them were Lonely Planet's India, DK Publishing's Eyewitness Travel India, Lonely Planet's India Food Guide, Holy Cow by Sarah MacDonald, and City of Joy by Dominique Lapierre. That list is only the location-specific list. Since my husband and I have a two-year-old, I also bought two books about parenting abroad, Raising Global Nomads by Robin Pascoe and Third Culture Kids by David C. Pollack.

Is this obsession? You decide. I've got to get busy reading!

2 comments:

Brenda said...

As a long time teacher, I have observed that children who are comfortable with more than one culture are generally very flexible, resilient and do well in life. Your children are fortunate to have this opportunity. Enjoy!

Colleen said...

I'm interested to see what affect this experience has on my son as well. It'll be very enlightening, as well as challenging, to parent a child who has had more international exposure than I did as a young child. Thank goodness that there are reference books on the topic! Thank you for your kind words.