03 October 2007

Getting Involved

One of the best ways to overcome culture shock, I am told, is to get involved. When you're busy, there's very little time to brood. Today, I did two things to help with that.

The first thing I did today was enroll the Little Guy in nursery school. While he's only 2 1/2, he seemed to be getting pretty bored at home. There is one not far from our flat that was recommended by one of the Moms in the International Baby Club. I like that there's some outside playtime in the garden at the start of the session. (The Little Guy is active and needs his outside playtime before he can settle down.) The other thing I like is that they are flexible with easing him into a school setting. They're willing to let him go occasionally at first, and only for short periods of time until he's adjusted.

The other thing I did was to contact the Missionaries of Charity to inquire about volunteer opportunities. I signed up to help teach some kids a few mornings per week. Kolkata is a nice place, but the poverty can get overwhelming. I don't do as many tourists do and give money to beggars. Many of the beggars are professionals, and some make Rs 2,000 per month! It might not sound like much when you convert the funds to some other currencies, but it's close to what some working class people make here and is a modest living. Still, when faced with all this poverty, part of me thinks I can make a difference, even if it's a small one. Then again, maybe I'm just an optomist. I guess the only way to find out is to sign up.

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: